The Village of Hines Creek is a friendly small northern Alberta community with a population of approximately 396 people who are mostly involved in forestry, agriculture, and the oil industries.
It was settled in the mid 1800s as a lucrative trapping area for settlers who traded with the North West Company along the Peace River.
The name of the community can be traced to an early fur buyer, Jack Hines. Hines was greatly respected by the local First Nations population, who named two creeks in his honour. The primary creek was named the Hines, and its tributary was named Jack Creek. Originally located three miles south-east of its present site on the old Fort St. John Trail, the arrival of the railroad determined the final location of Hines Creek. In 1930, the store and post office were moved to the present location near the railway tracks. The name of Hines Creek was retained.
The Hamlet of Hines Creek was incorporated as a Village in 1952.
Hines Creek is known as the “End of Steel” – because it was historically the furthest point north and west that the Canadian National Railway extended to across the vast prairies. The Village erected the world’s largest spike in 1992, measuring 13 feet high and 15 inches wide, developing “Spike Park”.
For more information on the Village follow this link to the Mighty Peace Tourism site.